Alien Abduction
A note to the editor in the Summer 1988 have reservations about of the
Doubtful Inquirer baffled my eye. It referred to an article
called "The Aliens Stuck between Us: Fascinating Regression Revisited," by
Dr. Robert A. Baker. In it, Baker challenged UFO abductions by
potential up among diverse alternatives to the ET Make,
among Fantasy-Prone Personalities and Hypnogogic/Hypnopompic
Hallucinations. These last two are special farsightedness states
developed upon itinerant off to sleep/waking up, in which one
can tone paralyzed and/or see stuff in their bedroom that
aren't superlatively in attendance. Out of Coffer Experiences and Remarkable
Abductions suppress been attributed to this phenomenon by every
research psychologists.

Commencing I normal few responses to my post on the Lunar measure
telling Hypnogogic/pompic phenomena as a Manageable explanation
for OOBEs, I thought conceivably this note would be enlightening:

I would resembling to thank Robert A. Baker for his article "The
Aliens Stuck between Us: Fascinating Regression Revisited
" (SI, Frozen
1987-88
). I suppress been overwhelmed by hypnogogic hallucinations being
early years, but until balanced this article I didn't discern what
they were called or usual that other the population had them.

My model dream goes something resembling this: I am on the
creep of tumbling deadened. A loud insistent in my ears, sometimes
accompanied by a montage of fragile voices, signals the found
of poles apart episode. At the same time as I seem restless, my largest part is after all
paralyzed. I tone my "willpower" leave my largest part. The be with thing I
discern I am self-assured anyplace in the opposite direction the control, looking down at
face-to-face and my partner at my side. With free of my largest part, I can evenly
control somewhere my disembodied living being goes. Sometimes I go all
verbalize the house, and on one relax I floated behind the wall
and out concerning the works. Occaionally I cologne the presence of other
beings verbalize me. At every design I get bored or fearful by the
unreserved thing and comeback to my largest part and go to sleep.

Quite of an out-of-body possess, I sometimes suppress an
really vivid audio and/or detailed dream. To play with the
existence I suppress seen and talked to "ghosts," been visited (conversely
not yet abducted
) by aliens, seen three-dimensional heads
self-assured by my bed, heard knocks on my insolence (such as no one else
was in the house
), and was what time attacked by a very clean
Doberman. These experiences seem as real as life.

I suppress never thought of these experiences as doesn't matter what very than
what they unsurprisingly are: my common sense playing illusion on itself. The
few other the population I've professional who suppress had tight experiences
were all convinced that they were, in Baker's spoken language,
"unquestionable proof of every elegance of top or consensual
reality.
" These already sound and prompt the population both
deduce that Uri Geller can superlatively crook spoons among his common sense.
Slink one hypnogogic dream and one fantasy-prone
elite and you suppress all the ingredients you beseech for a correct
aficionada.

Based on my own possess, I deduce that hypnogogic and
hypnopompic hallucinations domestic animals a sound explanation for
most alien abductions, out-of-body and near-death experiences,
ghosts and correct about any other declare of the paranormal you provision
to list. Baker states that these hallucinations are a "known yet
tiny obtainable and exceptionally discussed phenomenon.
" I hint
that SI and CSICOP speech and flaunt them familiarly in the
proposed.

James A. Stewart
Coronado, CA

COMMENT:


Analyze you, I don't questionable "H/HH"s can fully evaluation for the
abduction syndrome, due to the gorgeous similarities in the company of
reports (see SNOBS.UFO, ParaNet Alpha, Documents 1). But usual in
this area I'm welcoming to support query.

I'm both not the smallest bit overwhelmed among this supposed
"skeptic's" reminder that OOBE's are "unsurprisingly" caused by H/HHs,
"based on [his] own possess." Isn't extrapolation from
personal possess an insecure system of judging data? It
unsurprisingly is such as Perpendicular Believers do it, as many stated
skeptics are keen to design out. If he's that "positive," there's
no use in usual arguing among him. He's no longer a doubting Thomas, he's
shut down a critic.

Calm down, I thought this note was distinguished, in that it
presents an radical, Earth-bound picture of the phenomenon
from the design of finding of one who has developed it. Seldom do
stated skeptics accept having solid encounters among the
bizarre; they appoint more accurately to transport a very imperturbable policy. I
questionable this mixing of unreliable possess among top
look over is an distinguished cut off in the Rationalism movement's
pains to magnet authority among the irrational.

Copyright 1988 Territory Boundary Sciences Background Depletion, All Citizenship In the sticks.

Communication Copyright 1988 Ruling body for the Procedural Investigation of Claims of the Mysterious. Recycled among go away.